I know I haven’t been posting as much here on scatx in the last few months. It’s a combination of traveling, working on my diss, and trying to keep up with KYBOOMU.
But I dearly love this blog so I wanted to make sure to make note of my first blog-o-versary which happens tomorrow.
First post ever: In Hyde Park, London.
One of my earlier posts that I am still proud of and the story it’s about still makes me emotional: BART officer shot Oscar Grant point blank, but INVOLUNTARILY, in the back while Grant was lying on the ground.
This is BY FAR the most-viewed post on my site (and for good reason): BACK THE FUCK OFF: One woman’s abortion story and why politicians need to leave women alone.
This is my second most-viewed post and the one I am most proud of writing: Equating Slavery and Abortion: Where are the Women in this story?
This one still hits close to home as I lost someone near and dear to breast cancer when she was only 33: Fuck “Save the Tatas.”
Some other ones I like or am fond of for one reason or another:
- Fuck yeah, Google!
- Rape in the Peace Corps
- “Girl, you are TOO tall to ride the school bus”
- About that Other Map
- Palin is NOT Shackled
- On Working Mothers and Everybody Else
- Come on, New Yorker: TSA/Sexual Assault Cover [UPDATED]
- Boys vs. Girls [UPDATED]
- Feminism/Feministe’s Problem with Mothers? [Updated]
- Bobby Bones: Austin DJ, Victim Blamer, Sexual Assault Apologist
- In Texas, Be a Man
- Siblings Rarely Share Personalities
- What is this story about?
And like all success (which I feel this blog has basically been, especially based on what I imagined it to be when I started out), there are plenty of people to thank. These are the blogs that have somehow featured my posts at one point or another:
- More than any other, Shakesville (which is, hands down, my favorite blog and I respect the hell out of Melissa McEwan and her crew of truth-tellers over there)
- Feministe (because of their “Shameless Self-Promotion” posts every Sunday that I have taken advantage of)
- Ta-Nehisi Coates at The Atlantic (still squee everytime I think of him giving anything of mine props)
- Feministing (huge supporters of KYBOOMU but did highlight my “Back the Fuck Off” post)
- Inconsequential Logic (run by the awesome Roschelle)
- Historiann (holding it down for feminist historians in the blogosphere and doing an amazing job at it)
- Hysterical Marissa
Also, thanks to everyone who has read anything, has commented anything, and has supported me along the way. I appreciate it more than I can ever, ever say.
Here’s to another year! This one will be marked by my completing my dissertation, entering the academic job market, and teaching a survey course at a university as well as getting majorly angry over all the shit going down in the legislatures across this country. Should be an adventure!